Khushoo’ is considered to be the soul of the salaah and its essence. (Source)
Khushoo is a position of total and extreme submissiveness and humility in front of the Deity in Truth and the quiescence/tranquillity of the heart and the limbs. One does not move except where commanded and is not at ease except where commanded. It is an obligation in action due to the necessity of obedience and the abandonment of disobedience to the Deity in Truth. Whoever discharges this obligation during the prayer then contradicts it (behaves otherwise) upon departing from the prayer he has caused diminution/annulment of (his Khushoo') to the extent of his disobedience.
I've gotta a few requests lately for resources on khushoo, but have never prepared any to date on this topic. But, it has been a topic that I have been wanting to cover with my kids so I went off to find some resources to try to put something together. We may end up simply reading through the articles, but if I end up preparing anything, in shaa Allah I will share it here at TJ. These look like great resources (below) to pull together something beneficial and I can't wait to share them with my children, in shaa Allah.
- Some Benefits of Khushoo
- Concentrating on Prayer and Blocking Other Thoughts
- The Reward for Khushoo' and Beautification of the Prayer
- How to Maintain Khushoo in Prayer
- The Salaf and Their Khushoo in Salaah
- The Removal of Khushoo From This Ummah and the Beneficial Knowledge
- Concealment of Khushoo
- Someone who turns away in prayer
- An Explanation of What should be Present in the Heart During every Pillar and Moment from the Actions of the Prayer
- Obstacles to Khushoo
- People's Levels Regarding Performance of the Prayer
- Khushoo in Salah - Notes from Dars by Umm ‘Abdillah al-Waadi’iyyah on Commentary of Bulughal Maram