Decimals

My daughter and I started working on decimals recently and I'm kind of winging it without a textbook,  but I wanted to approach it in as structured of a manner as I could. So I found a learning objectives list to use as our base and then using worksheets and other activities to provide the meat. Below are some of the resources I've found online.

Introduction to Decimals

Very comprehensive and engaging video. A great introduction to decimals!



Model decimals through tenths and hundredths

Modeling Tenths
Using place value blocks, have student build and record values from 1/10  and up (.1, .2, .3... up to .9), show what happens when 1 more is added to .9, and then continue with values after 1 (1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc)

Modeling Hundredths
Using place value blocks, have student build and record values with hundredths.

Tenths and Hundredths

Identify place values of digits

Compare and order decimals

Identify equivalent fractions and decimals

Express mixed numbers and improper fractions as decimals. 


Round decimals to nearest tenths.


Add decimals

Subtracting Decimals

Solve problems with addition and subtraction of decimals

Multiply decimals

Solve problems with multiplication and division of decimals

Divide decimals

Mixed Operations