The Three Branches of Federal Government

We learned about the branches of the US government (at the 5th grade level) this week  (last year) and so I gathered (and made) some resources.

Learn

Fifth Grade Branches of Government
The content of this video is great. I didn't like the audio though so I ended up muting it and reading the "slides" to my daughter.

Graphic Organizers

Three Branches of Government Graphic Organizer/Notes (TJ Homeschooling)

Three Branches of Government Doodles/Coloring Pages - ClassroomDoodles.com

    Games

    Rags to Riches Game - Quia.com

    Branches of Government Jeopardy

    Sheppard Software Functions of the Three Branches Government Sorting Game

      Practice/Review

      Given terms, sort them according to which branch they would go into. Includes cards, answer key, and sorting "board."


      My daughter really enjoyed the sorting activity, she wanted to do it a few more times. We initially sorted on our whiteboard (below) and then I made a printable sorting board for future times, insha Allah.



      This is similar to the printable above except that the cards are of various functions/jobs of each branch.  Includes cards, answer key, and sorting "board."

      *****

      We started off our study with the book "The US Constitution and You" by Syl Sobel. I happened to have a copy of it from one of my older kids charter school days (and never used it) but I was trying to reignite our social studies again and found it handy this time around. I read it to my daughter over the course of a few days and didn't try to get real "schooly" and we both enjoyed it. (I sometimes go overboard trying to replicate school and then get burnt out)

      You can grab a copy of it yourself over at Amazon: