One of my daughters passed this milestone earlier this year (quite later than expected) and so when we were out buying pads I was looking down the aisle at all sorts of things that would make this experience more comfortable for her.
I thought I would compile a list of things that I had gotten (or wished I had gotten or provided) for that first time, as well as to keep on hand for good feminine hygiene.
- Menstrual calendar (if your daughter has a smartphone, there are also some good apps out there for tracking periods)
- Fabric Bag for storing period supplies ( a nice color/design that fits your daughter)
- Period travel/emergency mini bag (small bag that can fit in the purse to hold pads, etc)
- Pads (heavy duty and regular)
- Flushable wipes
- Teen vitamins
- Extra set of underwear to wear during period
- Disposable bags for pads
- Heating pad for cramps
- Menstrual medicine for cramps, bloating
- Hand wipes
- Period answer book (purchase or make your own; for Muslim girls, can include Islamic books/ahadith on the topic as well as general hygiene information )
Alhamdulillah, I have talked to my older daughters to various extents about getting their periods, so I hope that it will not be traumatic for them. I hope to be prepared beforehand, (as I wasn't this time).
Are there any items you would add to a period/first period kit?
To help teach your daughter about her period as regards to ibaadah, an excellent book is Natural Blood of Women, by Shaykh Muhammad bin Salih Al-Utheimeen.