Short Vowel (a,e,i,o,u) Resources

Short Vowels
Photo Credit: Sarah, 9 

Short Vowel A

Short Vowel A Gameboard

Word Families
I've never really taught word families (i.e. -ad, -ag, -an, etc) because I prefer to focus blending at the beginning of the word, but some years ago, someone requested word families, so I put together a few resources here and there on word families. I know many people teach by word families, so if you do, I hope you can find these few resources helpful.

Short E Word List

Short E Matching Cards
Set of 16 word/picture matching cards to practice the short vowel e

Short E Matching Cards



Short Vowel I


Short I Gameboard

Short Vowel O

(I usually just use the gameboards as a fun way to do reading drills)
Short O Gameboard

Short Vowel U

Nothing here yet!

All Short Vowels (A, E, I, O, U)

Short Vowel Reading Practice
Ok, so technically not boards, but, yet not just a word list.......

I made these up for my first grader so that she can easily practice reading short vowel words, in shaa Allah.  There are around 4 "boards" for each of the five short vowels (a, e, i, o, and u).

Instead of focusing on word endings (as in done with word families), In CVC (consonant-vowel-consonant words) I have always liked to focus on the beginning of the word (the initial consonant and first vowel). I found that when we used word families and focused on the endings, words sounded more like cuh-at, buh-at. 

In these word boards, as you can see, the first two letters are underlined because I want my daughter to focus on blending those two and adding the end sound.  Before using the boards, we did drills on having her blend just the two beginning letters, so we read ba, ba, ba, ba, ca, ca, ca, etc. (in shaa Allah, I'll post our "gameboards" that we used for that). When she was able to look at those beginnings and read fluently, then we went onto adding the ending letter/sound to read words. (I got this idea from one of the old school phonics books at DonPotter.net)

Finally, in the word boards, you'll see baseball and doughnut pictures. My daughter (as many kids) has trouble distinguishing between the b's and d's so I put the pictures above b's and d's so that she could figure out the word on her own, in shaa Allah. (There are also zippers for words like "has" and "his.") 

Four pages of alphabet cards. Cut out, fold in half and use the vowel cards with the consonants to help make CVC (consonant-vowel-consonant pattern) words. The pictures fold back so that they can be used only if the student has trouble identifying the sounds. 
CVC word builder cards