Preschool

Preschool Curriculum Helps


Creating a Preschool Curriculum with Developmental Checklists

When my older kids were younger, I was always researching preschool activities that I could do with them. The ideas also used to flow easier. As my kids got older, it seemed as if I was always focusing on the older kids and not being as creative or playful with the younger kids.

The other day, my two year old expressed an interest in "school" as I was working with her older sister and I realized that I needed to pick up the pace with her and do more meaningful activities. At first I thought of finding some workbooks and worksheets but I remember when my older kids were younger, we did more hands on activities.

One thing I remember that I used to do was find age checklists and do the different activities on them. Not so much to assess my kids, but it was just an easy way to come up with skill building activities that were fun.

You can browse through the checklists and put together a more formal curriculum with plans, if that's your thing, or you can just choose skills from the list and come up fun activities, such as games, to use those skills in.  The important thing, at this age, is to have fun.

Here are a few places you can find developmental checklists:

Two Year Olds

Three Year Olds

Science