Vinegar & Sugar Cucumbers

The name's not fancy, but this is one of my favorite foods from my childhood. My kids also love this. We made this today and my 11 year old told me that he firsts remembers eating cucumbers like this so when he had a plain cucumber some years ago he was disappointed  because he thought the cucumbers naturally tasted like this.

This is one of those recipes that you kind of have to tweak to fit your own tastes but here is a basic recipe:

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup white vinegar
  • 2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced

Directions:

Whisk the sugar, vinegar and salt together. Add cucumber slices. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. The longer it sits, the better it tastes.  The  next day is even better (but we can never wait that long).

Like I said, this is one of those recipes that you will probably end up tweaking. The original recipe that I used called for 1/2 cup sugar but I thought this was too much.  You can also add other things as well to add more taste.  Some additions or variations I've seen:
  • Add 1/4 teaspoon celery seed and 1/4 cup of onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Use 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and 1/4 cup white vinegar instead of only white vinegar
  • Addition of 1 tablespoon dill or chives
  • If it's too tart, you can add in some water.