Fluffy French Toast

Fluffy French Toast

One of our favorite breakfasts is French Toast.  I started out the master (main) French Toast cooker. But, because we have a large family, it takes me forever to make it when I have to make it for everyone.  It's one of my husband's favorite breakfasts so I get requests for it often. If I've just make a small batch for him and the older kids wake up and smell it and want some, well now, they make it themselves.  I even get treated to some at times!

I make my recipe a little different from a lot of recipes I see in that I use flour in my batter.  I stumbled across a Fluffy French Toast recipe on All Recipes that is similar to what I do (I just throw things in at this point, but I needed a recipe that the kids could follow, so this fit the bill).

What you need:

  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 12 thick slices bread

What you do:


  1. Measure flour into a large mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in the milk. 
  2. Whisk in the salt, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla extract and sugar until smooth.
  3. Heat a lightly oiled (I use margarine) griddle or frying pan over medium heat. 
  4. Soak bread slices in mixture until saturated.
  5. Cook bread on each side until golden brown. (Now for cooking, as I said above,  I use margarine or Crisco and although it adds more calories, I put in a new pat of margarine with each batch (I generally cook two slices at a time). I find it comes out "ugly" if I don't re-margarine the griddle/pan). Make sure it is cooked well because it came come out "liquidy" in the inside if not.
  6. Serve hot with powdered sugar or syrup.

This recipe makes 12 slices, so I wanted to reduce it for the kids (hey, makes a great math exercise for homeschooling, but I cheated and used All Recipes' recipe adjuster gadget).


  • 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
  •  2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons milk
  •  1/8 pinch salt
  •  1/2 eggs (we'll just round that to 1 egg)
  •  1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  •  1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
  •  1/2 teaspoon white sugar
  •  2 thick slices bread