Homemade Syrup


I made some banana pancakes this morning before realizing that we didn't have any syrup. So I googled some recipes for homemade syrup. I love making homemade versions of products that I would normally buy at the store. It's so rewarding when they come out right.

What you need

  • 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
  • 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1⁄2 cup water
  • 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 pinch salt
What you do

  1. Microwave for 50 seconds. Stir.
  2. Microwave for 50 seconds more or until mixture boils. Stir.
  3. Serve hot or let cool.


You may have to adjust the cooking time due to microwave variations. You can also cook it over the stove top as well. 

The recipe is from Food.com. One of the commenters suggested starting with 1/3 cup of water. I didn't see the comment until after I had already made up my batch (and I didn't measure my water) so I ended up having to add more of the sugars. So I definitely would recommend adding a smaller amount of water first and then adding water as needed for consistency.

Our syrup: